VENDORiQ: Google Apigee X - Highlights the need for API management and reporting
17 February 2021: Google Apigee announced the release of Apigee X, its latest edition of its API management solution.
Why it’s Important
IBRS has found that the topic of APIs has moved out of the boiler room to the boardroom. During a series of roundtables with CEOs, CFOs and Heads of HR in late 2019, IBRS noted that many of these executives were advocates for ‘API enabled enterprise solutions’. Upon further questioning, these non-technical executives were able to accurately describe the core concepts and purposes of APIs. Much of their knowledge had come from engagements with combined SalesForce / Mulesoft sales teams. During 2020, the demand for rapid digitisation of processes with low-code platforms further raised the profile of API usage.
Expectations for APIs are high. Meeting those expectations demands a structured approach to management of APIs, and the ability to report on their usage.
- Software development teams
Consider how the topic of APIs - which many executives see as critical for evolving business functions, or even a building block of digital transform efforts, needs to be communicated within the organisation. Explore how the adoption of low-code platforms both within and tangential to the ICT group will further expand the use of APIs. If not already available, put in place a roadmap for the introduction of API management capabilities, factoring both governance issues and supporting technologies.
Related IBRS Advisory
- Architectures for Mobilised Enterprise Applications
- Running IT-as-a-Service Part 15: Traditional enterprise architecture is irrelevant to digital transformation
- IBRSiQ: Can IBRS advise on the pros and cons of best of breed combined EAM/ERP vs fully integrated ERP/EAM?
- The impact of Software-as-a-Service on enterprise solutions: Why you must run IT-as-a-Service
- Enterprise resource planning (ERP) Part 2: Planning the ERP strategy for modernisation
- How to succeed with eforms Part 4: Selection framework
- Making the case for enterprise architecture