VENDORiQ Dialogflow CX goes GA
2 February 2021: Google has announced general availability of Dialogflow CX, it’s virtual agent (chatbot) technology for call centres. The service is a platform to create and deploy virtual agents for public-facing customer services. Google has embraced low-code concepts to allow for rapid development of such virtual agents with a visual builder. The platform also allows for switching between conversational ‘contexts’, which allows for greater flexibility in how the agents can converse with people that have multiple, simultaneous customer service issues.
Why it’s Important
While virtual agents are relatively easy to develop over time, two key challenges have remained:
- the ability to allow non-technical, customer service specialists to be directly involved in the creation and continual evolution of the virtual agents
- the capability of virtual agents to correctly react to humans’ non-linier conversational patterns.
Google’s Dialogflow CX has adopted aspects of low-code development to address the first challenge. The platform offers a visual builder and the way conversations are developed (contexts) can be described as ‘program by example’. While there are third-party virtual agent platforms that further simplify the development of agent workflows (many of which build on top of Dialogflow), the Google approach is proving sufficient for non-technical specialists to get heavily involved in the development and fine-tuning of virtual agents
- Development team leads
- Business analysts
If not already in place, organisations should establish a group of technical and non-technical staff to explore where and how virtual agents can be used. Do not attempt a big bang approach: keep expectations small, be experimental and iterative. Leverage low-code ‘chatbot builder’ tools to simplify the creation of virtual agent workflows, while leveraging available hyperscale cloud platforms for the back end of the agents.
Related IBRS Advisory
- Chatbots Part 1: Start creating capabilities with a super-low-cost experiment
- Virtual Service Desk Agent Critical Success Factors
- SNAPSHOT: The Chatbot Mantra: Experimental, experiential and iterative
- New generation IT service management tools Part 1
- Artificial intelligence Part 3: Preparing IT organisations for artificial intelligence deployment
- VENDORiQ: Tribal Sage chatbot